This meal is a go-to mostly b/c it is so easy to put together but also b/c everyone loves it. Christy, from The Girl Who Ate Everything is super beautiful mom of FIVE kids and is also another one of my favorite food bloggers out there. I have a long list of favorite recipes I have used from her site and cookbook. If you haven't tried her out, go do that today!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion , chopped (I used 1/2 of a sweet onion)
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde (make sure to get MILD if you are feeding kids)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 rotisserie-style chicken , skin discarded and meat shredded (I buy the ready pack of rotisserie from Costco).
- 4 sandwich rolls , split
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
Preheat the broiler. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and honey, then stir in the salsa and heat through. Mix in the sour cream. Add sauce a little at a time to your bowl of shredded chicken. YOU MAY NOT NEED ALL THE SAUCE depending on how much shredded chicken you have. Stir in the sauce to coat.
Pile the chicken mixture on the roll bottoms. Top with the cheese and broil to melt. Set the roll tops in place and serve with the chips.
You may want to make the sauce and then add as much as you like to your meat so you get the amount of sauce you would like on each sandwich.
Roast some broccoli, cauliflower or brussell sprouts on the side and this dinner is ready in no time and SO delicious!